A frequently asked question regarding our hair systems is how long will they last? However, there are many factors that affect the lifespan of a hair system. The following is a list we have compiled together that are essential to making your hair system last longer:
- The base material is chosen: Mono, Lace, or Skin
- How the hair system is maintained?
- How does the customer use the tape and glue on the hair system?
- How often do customers clean their hair system?
Here is a video tutorial talking about the lifespans of some of our stock skin hair systems and lace front hair systems. Please enjoy.
Regarding different types of base materials, it’s mainly mono, lace, and skin systems.
Swiss lace is the finest and the most undetectable out of all the base materials. It is very fragile and delicate which coincides with its short lifespan. Swiss lace bases will only last between 1 to 2 months, however, it is subject to how the customer maintains their hair system.
French lace is slightly thicker than Swiss lace, however, the difference between the two bases is minimal. French lace has greater durability in comparison to Swiss lace. The HS7 stock model is an example of our full French lace base hair systems. This HS7 model will last between 3 to 4 months.
Mono bases are highly recommended for customers who want a hair system with a longer lifespan. The mono base is not as delicate as the previously mentioned bases making it easier for customers to attach and remove mono hair systems. The mono base is comfortable as well as durable. Mono bases are expected to last between 6-12 months, however, it is all dependent on how the customer maintains the hair system and their lifestyle. Examples of mono base stock systems are HS27, HS27+, D7-3, D7-3-DYF.
Skin base systems vary a lot in thickness and therefore their lifespans vary. Thinner skin bases have an undetectable hairline, although they are less durable. On the other hand, there are thicker skin bases that are just as realistic and more durable. In our stock hair system range there are 4 models for our skin systems:
- HS25V: 0.03mm ultra-thin skin. The most natural and thinnest of all the skin bases. It has an expected lifespan of 3-4 weeks.
- HS1V: 0.06mm super thin skin. (2-3 month lifespan)
- HS1: 0.08mm thin skin. (3-6 month lifespan)
- INS: 0.08mm injected hair. (3-4 month lifespan)
So far, we have mentioned factors that can affect the lifespan of a hair system. Other factors include if the customer has any special customizations that need to be applied to the hair system. When customers require the knots to be bleached on the lace front, or the whole lace hair system, the chemical process weakens the hair. The bleach causes the hair to be weaker allowing the hair to shed more easily. Taken together, this reduces the lifespan of the hair system.
The ventilation method is another aspect that will have an influence on the lifespan of a hair system. For example, if single split knots and double reverse knots are used. Double reverse knots are much stronger than single split knots. So usually, we use single split knots on lace fronts and use double reverse knots in other areas. In this way, the hair system is both undetectable and durable. Your daily maintenance will also have a big influence on your hair systems’ lifespan.
Why we can only give you an approximate time?
An approximate time can only be given to how long a hair system will last as it is all about how the customer uses the hair system and how the customer maintains the hair system. At first, a lack of experience may shorten the lifespan. When the customer has their first hair system it will take time to understand and learn how to treat it. This includes how to style, brush, wash and what products you use. By sharing our own experiences and the experiences of our clients we can guide customers through this initial process.
We always advise customers to perform maintenance on their hair systems every 7 to 10 days. This is crucial because the adhesive can clog to the hair and if it is left, it will require a solvent to remove it. The solvent is an abrasive product and we only recommend for it be used in emergencies. If maintenance is consistently performed, then the hair system will last longer.
Lifestyle has a big impact on the lifespan of hair systems. If you do a lot of sport, go to the pool or the beach then your system won’t last as long. Again, this is also impacted by how you maintain your hair system.
To make your hair systems last as long as possible, please try to avoid the following:
- Treating it too roughly
- Wearing it to bed at night
- Using harsh shampoos on it
- Brushing it too frequently or too hard
- Shampooing too frequently
- Swimming while wearing it (to avoid matting and discoloration)
- Allowing the buildup of products like gels and texture creams
What can you do to ensure that your hair piece lasts much longer?
There are several hair wearing ‘rules’ that you should follow to minimize the deterioration of your hair piece:
- Use a blow dryer on a cool or warm setting
- Use shampoos that are sulfate-free
- Shampoo it every 2-3 days
- Use conditioner each time you shampoo and comb it thru
- Use Nearly Natural Softening Conditioner
- Sleep on a satin pillowcase that minimizes the friction when you wear it to bed
- Avoid alcohol-based sprays & gels
What problems will customers experience when they use hair systems?
We believe that hair shedding is the main problem when it comes to hair systems. Before we identify what causes shedding it is important to understand what shedding is. There are two situations of hair shedding:
- One is that hair loosens from the base net, the knot is opened and the hair slides from the net. To reduce this issue, we use double reverse strong knots.
- The other is that hair breaks from the hair root directly. There are several reasons for hair breaking, such as not having good raw hair, coloring hair, perm hair process, bleaching knots, and using inadequate hair bases. In this situation, you’d better send the hair system back to us, so we can check the real reason and improve accordingly.
Now we work out more ways to prevent the hair shedding problem at our factory. Firstly, we are selecting good raw material hair suppliers. Secondly, we improve the hair coloring and hair curl perm techniques to reduce the damage to hair texture. Thirdly, we are applying light bleaching knots for stock and custom-made orders, unless full bleaching knots are requested.
Regarding inadequate hair replacement systems use, the most noticeable problem is tapes or hair-care products residue. The residue will corrode the hair and cause the hair to break therefore we suggest you clean the hair system thoroughly for each wash and use spray-on condition.
What to do when the hair system begins to shed?
Mainly due to the fact that a hairpiece does not have the natural oils that the wearer’s own hair contains, it will never last forever. If there is some hair falling out, but it’s still in good condition, we suggest the hair system should be repaired by adding hair. If it’s within 3 months after delivery, we can add hair free of charge. If it’s over 3 months, or the customer ordered the hair system from another factory, we can also provide repair service. Here are some notes for you for repair service:
1. Before you send us the repair order, please send us a picture so we can access the damage. Sometimes we get the hair systems that have been worn for a long time and the hair has almost fallen out. For long-term use do not recommend repairing the hair system. The time and cost it will take to repair will be equal to a new hair system.
2. Please send the repair order to the below address:
New Times Hair Industries Co., LTD
Room 809, Building B, LuBang Plaza
No.177 Shandong Road
Please write a “plastic template” as the product name. Please kindly declare the value of the package less than $10 USD dollars to avoid high customs. Thanks.
Please send us the tracking number. When we receive it, we will confirm with you as soon as possible.
3. Please clean the old hair system before shipment to us. It will be easier for us to check the system situation and process. Thank you.
If you have special requirements for hair length, hair density, hair color, and hair type. Please email us the specifications or put a note inside the package.